Almost 14 years ago, UCLA women’s water polo put the Westwood community in a league of its own.
By winning the department’s 100th NCAA championship, UCLA became the first university in the country to reach triple digit titles, and it came on the backs of a 5-4 women’s water polo win over Stanford. That trophy was the third of five consecutive NCAA championships secured by our program from 2005-2009, and we have been on the hunt for our nation-leading eighth title ever since.
Now, after a promising season that saw the Bruins take home a conference-leading eight All-MPSF awards, six All-American awards, and beat rival USC for the first time in four years was cut short, we are picking up right where we left off -- rising towards the top once again.
However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we find ourselves facing a number of financial obstacles. The inability to have our annual fundraiser as well as a department-wide 15% budget reduction has resulted in a dire hit to our accounts, and we need your support to help us bridge the gap our program is currently facing.
We are extremely excited to host our first crowdfunding campaign and hope to have you as a part of our Bruin family, helping us fundraise for:
- Nutrition – to ensure our student athletes eat healthily, in normal years we provide them meals to fuel them through double day trainings and school.
- Sports psychology consulting – to provide mental health resources for our student athletes’ well-being in sport, school, and life outside the water.
- Massage therapy – to aid in recovery and keep our student athletes healthy after long weeks of training and multiple games on the weekend.
- Training equipment – caps, balls, medicine balls, resistance bands, weight belts and weight vests, everything we need to train and compete at the highest possible level.
- Travel accommodations – for all expenses the department cannot cover for us as a result of our reduced budget.
- Excursions – the occasional team bonding and team building experience to get to know our teammates better, and further grow our championship team culture.
- Other general operational purchases and expenses not covered by the athletic department, such as video equipment, alumni events, and more.
We always tell our team that no one person is more important than the group – every person’s role, from head coach, to student athlete, to our student workers, to our alumni and fans, is every bit as important as the next if we are to reach our ultimate goal of becoming the best team that we can become.
We hope to expand our network this year and welcome you as a part of our collective journey towards UCLA’s 119th national championship. Thank you and Go Bruins!
CLICK HERE TO READ THE UCLA FOUNDATION'S DISCLOSURE STATEMENTS FOR DONORS.